|Thirty-something-year-old Sanel Esterhuyse, the new executive chef at the superior deluxe African Pride 15 on Orange Hotelin Cape Town, had a dream when she was young to become an architect. After a year of study she had a change of heart and went on to complete a degree in psychology and political science, but her passion had not yet been found. Sanel discovered it in a kitchen, creating dining experiences that share with guests the flame that drove her to pick up her first pan.Sanel has worked in some of South Africa’s best kitchens, including the Arabella Sheraton Grand Hotel, the Cape Grace Hotel, One.Waterfront and Beluga.
1. How would you describe your cooking style?
2. What is your favourite dish on the current menu in Savour, the a la carte restaurant in African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel?
3. Will you be making any menu changes?
4. Kitchen’s can be quite heated. How would you describe your leadership style?
5. If you’re cooking for a dinner party at home, describe the menu.
6. Is sweet or savoury king in your book?
7. What do you want diners to experience when they’re eating your food?
8. What’s your best time-saving kitchen tip?
9. What advice would you give to an aspiring chef?
10. What most excites you about your new position at AP 15 on Orange Hotel?
- 96 Winery – Natasha Wray
- Azure – Henrico Grobbelaar
- Beefcakes – Wonderful Ndhlovu
- Fyndraai – Shaun Schoeman
- La Colombe – Scot Kirton
- Makaron – Tanja Kruger
- Signal – Malika Van Reenen
- Savour – Sanel Esterhuyse
- Pot Luck Club – Luke Dale Roberts
- The Brasserie – Stefan Marais
- De Grendel – Chef Ian Bergh
- Jewel of India – Dayanand Shakar Poojary
- Il Leone – Daniel Toledo
- Dash – Jamie & Craig
- Boat House – Bruce Robertson
- Taste Features